BALL SQUARE, 707 Broadway, 1248 seats. Parker B. Stanley, architect.
Advertised as the region's most "pretentious and capacious" new theatre, the Ball Square opened with great fanfare in April 1923. The Locatellis owned it until a fire gutted the theatre sixteen years later. Reopened as part of the M&P chain, it was an early victim to television, closing its doors for good in 1956. Twelve years later it was unsuccessfully offered at auction for $11,000. The last business to occupy the space was Leo's House of Pizza, which burned to the ground in 1986. Today Cambridge Lock stands in its place.